Satellite antenna question

I have a kind of minimal satellite antenna setup: a 16 element and a 14
element, both horizontally polarized, with no elevation.  I notice that on
some passes I can barely hear the satellites, or not at all, and other times
they come through strong.

Would upgrading to a real satellite antenna system: circular polarization
with elevation remove these variances in signal strength?  With such a
setup, would I have perfect copy on every sat pass, or does is the
differences in signal from pass to pass something everyone lives with?

73s John AA5JG
(ex: W5TD, NE0P)
6M WAS #1275, 6m VUCC #1260
2m VUCC #615, Satellite VUCC #129