Re: D-STAR experiment on Cubesat

On Jun 9, 2008, at 8:55 AM, David B. Toth wrote:

One additional note that I forgot:  the various DRM (digital radio
mondiale) like modes are using technology which is almost certainly
illegal in many countries.  MELP based encoders are patent encumbered,
and hams typically have not acquired the rights to use them in free or
open source applications.  As an example, consider FDMDV.  If you go
to their website to download it:

http://n1su.com/fdmdv/download.html

You'll see that the download doesn't include the MELP.dll.  Why?
Because it is illegal for the author of FDMDV to distribute the DLL,
and he doesn't want to get sued.  So, he's basically transferring any
liability he might have for using patented technology without
appropriate licensing to you.  In short, it's a dodge.  While I
disagree with many aspects of intellectual property law, the law _is_
fairly clear, and I think it is very dangerous for us as hams to
flaunt the laws of our respective countries in this manner.

	Mark KF6KYI