SatExplorer ... Programming DDE Interface?

Hi,

I am currently trying to write a program to get the Doppler shift from
SatExplorer, using the Windows Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) interface.
I'm having difficulties in understanding and programming the DDE system.

Does anyone have any source code (or a URL to one), preferably in C,
which would help to point me in the right direction?  Alternatively, a
step by step description of the procedure would be very helpful.

In theory it should be a fairly straightforward task, as the information
is defined by three variables -

Application  SAT_EXPLORER

Topic        SAT_EXPLORER_DATA

Item         SAT_EXPLORER_SERVER