Remoted rotator controller

Contemplating my Yaesu G-5400 and not so fond of the idea of running 2x
6x18AWG cables nearly 200'...(more accurately, paying for them).
Has anyone ever put the controller at the antenna base and instead ran the
computer<->controller wires the long distance between the computer
interface and the control box?  Seems like it would be a lot cheaper, in
the sense of fewer wires of a smaller gauge, and not so much worry about
voltage drop etc.  My setup is low to the ground, so the control box would
be ground-mounted in a weatherproof shelter.  The "digital" run would be
the 200' or more, and the "analog" or "power" run only 20' or so.  If done
the traditional way these lengths would be reversed.
Or is this a stunningly dumb idea for reasons yet-unknown to me?

Scott Townley NX7U
Gilbert, AZ  DM43di
mailto:nx7u@arrl.net
http://members.cox.net/nx7u