AOP-1 Circular Polarization?

Hello all, I'm getting ready to put back up my old AOP-1 antennas (the
old Cushcraft antennas that were popular in the days of AO-10 & 13).
I'm wondering whether I should follow the same procedure of cross
polarization for the 440 beam?  It was recommended at the time to
place the antenna in an X pattern instead of the cross pattern.  Also,
at the time, the 2 meter antenna was suggested to be placed in the
standard vertical/horizontal polarization.

Please let me know which would be the best method to use for most of
today's birds.

73s de W4AS