trade-secret, patented,copyrighted nature of the AMBE voice codec used in the D*STAR

Not sure if you folks have seen this recently.  It has a reference to
AMSAT in the draft:
http://codec2.org/
and the referring article:
http://technocrat.net/d/2008/5/14/41380
Also, regarding the LEOs, I really enjoyed using them and only found
them to be busy on weekends and at night, but I wouldn't say they were
hard to use.  Plus, for someone who doesn't have the expensive HF gear,
it was my only way to get into exchanging QSL cards using N2SPI's
homebrewed antennas that I got from AMSAT's website.
73,
-Rob