Re: AMSAT-BB Digest, Vol 3, Issue 239

> Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 15:17:03 -0500
> From: rnutter@networkref.com
> To: jkopala@gmail.com
> CC: amsat-bb@amsat.org
> Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: AMSAT-BB Digest, Vol 3, Issue 239
>
> John:
>
> I am using a "budget" rotor from Channel Master for my current setup.
> Is that strong enough to support an elevation rotor or do I need to save
> up some $$$ and get an AZ/EL rotor ?  It looks like Yaesu is the only
> option I can find.  Are there others that I should look at ?
>
> Ron

Hi Ron,

My Az rotor is a ham type (pedigree unknown), but the elevation rotor is a simple Alliance U-110.  I think I paid something like $5.00 for a pair of them.  As you scan see in the pictures, it handles quite a lot, as long as the balance is kind of close.  If it matters, I chose to put a simple screw into the horizontal shaft where the Elevation rotor drives it, so it's not super stiff at that joint.  Gives the motor a little "give" when starting.

Greg  KO6TH