HT debate

This morning I successfully QSO'd with ON4ASG in
jo10nx through AO-51 using a HT that I bought in
Jinan, China for the equivalent of £12 or 25USD. It's
called a PU GUANG PG-5118 and has 2.5 watts out from a
Li-ion battery (no CTCSS though). Similar rigs are on

I was using my Arrow of course, and an adaptor to
change the SMA male antenna plug on the HT to BNC, on
a 67 degree pass.

Downlink was heard full duplex on another cheap radio,
Hora C408, costing about £40-50 here, tuning in 5kHz
steps. Runs on 2 AA cells. No desensing whatsoever.
Bit fiddly to doppler tune a second rig, and the tape
ran out before the end (!), so lost IW8RRF.

Watch out for an announcement coming up soon about

73 de andy G0SFJ