Re: Best HT's for sats?

Dan,

Thanks for uploading the paper, very helpful.  Guess
no one rig can please everyone, but what is it about
the FT-530 that makes it "very awkward to operate"?
Drew KO4MA gave the FT-530 high praise in his post.

I could never hear my downlink on the IC-W32A I
borrowed for Swan Island, and if you can't use it to
work full duplex, might as well buy a brand new FT-60
for about the same price as the W32A sells for on
eBay.  Also, you can't work the ISS with an unmodified
W32A, as it won't transmit below 440 mhz.

I know it's possible to hear your downlink on the FM
birds with some rigs, because many have written about
it.  I've had no luck with 3 different rigs, even with
separate radios and separate antennas.  No problem for
me to work duplex on AO-7 and VO-52, must be the third
harmonic that is the issue with AO-51, AO-27, and
SO-50.

A lot of folks seem to like the Kenwood TH-D7A, but
the price tag is quite high for a radio that is "very
delicate," "extremely difficult to program," and "poor
battery life".

73, Bill NZ5N

>>Posted by: "Dan O'Barr"  kl7dr@yahoo.com     kl7dr
Thu Apr 3, 2008 9:13 pm (PDT)
I uplaoded my white paper on the best Walkie-Talkies
to operate the LEO Amateur
satellites.

>>You can access this file at the URL:
http://groups. yahoo.com/
group/fm-satellite/files/Best%20Walkie-Talkies.doc

73,
Dan O, KL7DR