Re: 2401/144 down conveter and antenna questions

Alan and Tim,

I built my helix dish feed using a short piece of approx. 1-inch
diameter PVC with no discernable effect.  I have a steel bolt running
up the center inside the helix for support (not electrically
connected to the helix).  If well centered along the axis of the
helix the bolt does not effect the pattern or impedance of the helix.
http://www.kl7uw.com/sat.htm

A sure-fire way to test the PVC is to place it inside a microwave
oven and heat it for about a minute.  If it gets hot then do not use
it.  If only slightly warm its OK.  CAUTION: DO place a cup of water
in the oven with the plastic to act as a load for the oven...you
should never run a microwave oven empty as there is no RF load for
the magnetron (sort of like transmitting without an antenna).  The
water insures that there is a load.

73 Ed - KL7UW