From: "Mark L. Hammond" <n8mh@embarqmail.com>
To: amsat-bb@amsat.org,chris@photofuture.co.uk
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 17:18:25 -0400
Subject: re: [amsat-bb]  FT-817 use on AO16

Hi Chris,

While I haven't used an FT-817, I have worked AO-16 on 5 watts--through my
'short' M2 2M antenna.

Of course, it's all about gain--so where you are sending that 5 watts (a mag
mount or 12dB gain array??) makes all the difference in the world...

The receiver on AO-16 is quite sensitive.  Just now, I heard many VHF
telephones from South/Central America/Caribbean  coming through the bird :)

73,

Mark N8MH

At 01:00 PM 3/30/2008 -0700, you wrote:
>Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 18:42:33 +0100
>From: "Chris Bloy" <chris@photofuture.co.uk>
>Subject: [amsat-bb]  FT-817 use on AO16
>To: <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
>
>Hi all
>
>Has anyone used an FT-817 on AO-16?
>
>I am having issues getting into the repeater, I think partly due to the
>amount of stations trying to access! But has anyone  managed with 5 watts?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Chris - M0DQO

Mark L. Hammond  [N8MH]