Re: Preamp for a Mobile Application

I have used a Comet CF-160 duplexer to split the vhf and uhf to seperate
antennas.  From the UHF side, I used a 3 element uhf beam with no
amplifier and have had very good results with all the FM birds.  In most
cases I used a 1/4 wave mag mount on vhf for the uplink.

In a mobile situation, I dont know that it is that critical where the
amplifier is mounted since the coax run will be less than 15 ft in most
cases.  I have used advanced receiver research amplifiers which are in a
  2x2x.5 form factor.  I think they have a switching amp model as well.

Ron
KA4KYI
AMSAT Mo Coordinator