Preamp for a Mobile Application

Hi all,

I am really enjoying the satellite aspect of the hobby and have enjoyed the
contacts I have made with my Icom IC-2720H with a 19" whip antenna from my
vehicle. I have seen talk recently of using a preamp to improve the
reception. From what I've read and understand, it appears that a "switching"
preamp is needed for a setup using only one antenna for Tx and Rx such as
mine. Is this correct?

It also appears that most of the preamps are mast mounted. Since this would
not be an option for me can the preamp be put near the transceiver? Are
there any issues that result of doing so?

Lastly, what preamp(s) would you recommend for an application such as mine?

Thanks,

Kent

--
Kent R. Frazier, K5KNT