Re: IC-W2A as sat rig?

Thanks, John.  On further investigation, it seems that
the W2A will not fully suit my needs, due to an odd
issue with this rig.  It seems that the W2A will work
cross-band in full duplex mode only, not in half
duplex (in contrast, the W32A allows you to choose
between full duplex and half duplex).  This means that
a W2A can only be used for sats with headphones, or
else there will be feedback.  Full duplex with
headphones is of course the best way to work the sats,
but sometimes it's just too inconvenient and I'd
prefer to at least have the option of using the HT on
half duplex with the speaker.  And if the W2A desenses
as badly as the W32A, then full duplex with headphones
will be a total waste.

I'll test it out as soon as the charger arrives.

73, Bill NZ5N
> * Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: IC-W2A as sat rig?
   > * From: John Mock KD6PAG <kd6pag@xxxxxxxxx>
   > * Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 20:39:02 -0700

> I had one for several years and it worked very
nicely as a J-FM satellite
rig.  I think you made a good choice!  Consider
getting an Arrow antenna,
or something comparable.  Also, use a casette or voice
recorder, as it's
hard to hold an antenna and a radio, and still write
down callsigns.

If i recall correctly, the IC-W2A has an ordinary
stereo mini-phone
jack, with the speaker on the tip and the microphone
on the ring contacts.
But what you'll really need is a patch cord from the
IC-W2A to the mike
input of your recorder, which might need attenuation.
Write to me if you
need any help with this.

I hope to talk to you soon on AO-27, AO-51, etc.  73's
and good luck!

                      -- KD6PAG  (Networking
Old-Timer, Satellite QRPer)