Re: QSL CARD EXCHANGE

Stuart Underwood wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have a question about exchanging QSL cards.  When the last time the ISS xband repeater was up I made seven contacts.  I was very excited because this was the first time I was able to work satellites.  Very anxious, I sent out seven QSL cards.  Waiting to get some back.  I received only one.  My questions is, is there a protocol for sending and receiving QSL cards for satellite work?  When I get better, I would like to try for VUCC...   Thanks in advance.  73, Stuart W8STU  EN91

Normal.  I sent out over 500 cards for VHF+ contacts during June contest
in 2006.  My return rate was about 100, if that.

But, I will admit I put a letter in with them, and was more interested
in letting folks know that I had a good time, I hoped they had a good
time, and there was a line in there that stated clearly that I did NOT
need a return QSL if they couldn't do it for any reason, but that they
would be appreciated if they did.

Also, be patient.  Many people (myself included) fall behind on QSL'ing
and have to schedule a weekend day where NOTHING else gets done but
QSLs... obviously these "catch up" sessions aren't much fun, so there's
not much motivation to do them more than a couple of times a year.  I
have a (small, thank Goodness) stack of cards I still need to reply to.

During my next "QSL session" I think I've finally found some software I
like for keeping my QSL and log information long-term... there's tons of
options out there, but I decided to "just go" with one... so that day
will probably be spent typing log information into that software... ad
nauseaum.

That software should also post everything typed into it into LoTW and
eQSL, for those that like those... neither of which is all that great
for VHF+ Rovers, due to grid square changes, the decision whether to log
as WY0X or WY0X/R, etc...

The *best* way to get a QSL back, is to beg for them, and include an
SASE.  That has the highest return rate these days.  Ironically, most
SASEs I send out, get returned... hams are usually willing to send QSLs,
they're just too busy to do it.  A note begging for a return QSL and an
SASE is often just the "hint" needed to trigger someone like myself into
  one of those "QSL days" in the basement... and I send back people's
SASEs so they can re-use them too.

Nate WY0X