Re: QSL CARD EXCHANGE

----- Original Message -----
To: "AMSAT BB"
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2008 03:24 UTC
Subject: [amsat-bb] QSL CARD EXCHANGE

> Greetings,
>
> I have a question about exchanging QSL cards.  When the last time the ISS
> xband repeater was up I made seven contacts.  I was very excited because
> this was the first time I was able to work satellites.  Very anxious, I
> sent out seven QSL cards.  Waiting to get some back.  I received only one.
> My questions is, is there a protocol for sending and receiving QSL cards
> for satellite work?  When I get better, I would like to try for VUCC...
> Thanks in advance.  73, Stuart W8STU  EN91

Hi Stuart,
 Even avid DXer's only get about a 60% return rate on their QSL's so don't
get to discouraged. That said, here are a few suggestions to increase your
return rate:
-Always enclose an SASE (self addressed stamped envelope).
-Be sure to record contact dates and times in UTC and indicate so on the
card.
-Be sure to write legibly.
-Always sign your card.
-Include all the information the other station might want for his/her own
award goals (Grid Square, ITU Zone, CQ Zone, County, etc.)
-Write a short note on the back thanking the other station for the QSO.
-If the card is for a new State, Grid, Country, etc. say so on the card.
-If you're working for an award say so on the card.
-Some special events have QSL managers so be sure you know the correct place
to send your card.
-If the card is important and you don't get a response in a reasonable
period of time send another card and be sure to note it's your second
attempt.
-If you're sending a card over seas don't  bother with the SASE just include
a self addressed envelope and a "green stamp" (one dollar bill) to cover
local postage.
-Overseas QSL's should never have a call-sign on the outside of the envelope
to avoid mail theft.

If you're really desperate you can create a return card for the other
station and send it to him to sign and return. Be sure to include a note
explaining what your doing and an SASE. (I've done this twice and it worked
both times).

Some other things to consider:
-Personalized QSL cards get a higher return rate.
-Unique QSL cards get a higher return rate.
-Cards that are easy to read and understand get a higher return rate.

Things to avoid are:
-Cards with the address or other information in non-standard form (Example:
Street address at the top, City and State at the bottom).
-Cards with political or religious messages.
-Cards that have a commercial message or promote particular, non-amateur
related causes.

One other note, sometimes it takes a while. I generally send out card every
three months or so and I know hams that only reply to QSLs once a year.

Good Luck on the VUCC

Steve .. AI7W
lm #2270