Re: QSL CARD EXCHANGE

Although you sometimes will not get a card back no matter what you do,
to increase your chances here is what I have done.

Send all cards with a SASE (or self addressed envelop with a green stamp
or IRC)
Send a pre-filled out QSL card for them to complete (with
date/time/callsigns, etc. and a place for them to sign)
     (this way, even if they do not have any QSL cards, they can provide
you with one)

Now the disappointing part... you have done this once, need the country
for a new one, send a card again only this time with $5 in it, no reply.
Next you actually happen to come across someone that is traveling to
that county and you give him a QSL card to carry with him and a blank
made out card. He knocks on the door of the ham in the foreign country,
asks him if he would please fill out the QSL card for his friend in the
states and the ham doesn't want to have anything to do with it. This
just was not a very nice ham at all. Oh well, I am still waiting for a
satellite QSL card from Iceland back in 1993 or 1994.

Once upon a time, someone sent me a QSL card without a SASE (stateside
ham). Having DXCC, WAS, VUCC and WAC on satellite, it was nice to
receive a card from another state. I emailed the ham and said I would
not send it direct without postage. He replied that this was the most
economical way to exchange QSL cards, each side paid half the postage.
That would be a great theory if QSL'ing were to start today and no one
in the world had a QSL card from anyone else. What about people that are
on fixed budgets and like to be on the air. If everyone sent them a QSL
card, that would cost them so much they could not buy food that month.

I am the QSL manager for P5/4L4FN (North Korea operation). Very, very
rare country. We had sent him equipment to get on AO-40 a few weeks
before it went silent (sniff sniff). Anyhow, I have processed around
12,000 QSL cards for that operation. I still get requests. Many come
direct without envelopes, SASE, IRC or green stamps. If I sent back even
1,000 of them on my own funds, that would be very expensive (envelope
and postage) and I have absolutely nothing to gain towards any award.
Those cards go back via the buro and I have to pay the postage and buro
fee to send them (a lot less than postage on each one).

You have to remember that if you want a QSL card from someone, it is to
further your fun in the hobby by earning some type of award, not the
person that you are sending the card to. (If it was someplace I really
wanted and I got their card before I sent mine, I would send them back
their postage, IRC or green stamp as it was mutually beneficial).

73...bruce

--

Bruce Paige, KK5DO

AMSAT Director Contests and Awards

Houston AMSAT Net - Wed 0100z on SkyScanner Satellite Radio Network on Galaxy-25 @97° West,
Transponder 23 (12115 Vert), Symbol Rate: 22425, APID: 1794 (DVB Free To Air)

http://www.arrl.org