Re: Easy to make, low cost omni-directional antennae

Tony Langdon wrote:
> At 06:17 AM 3/28/2008, Bill Dzurilla wrote:
> I wouldn't bother with a switching preamp, unless you're planning on
> using the omni for transmitting (e.g. for working the ISS
> repeater).  You certainly don't need a switching preamp to work any
> of the Mode J birds, because the uplink is on a different band, and
> you want full duplex capability if you can have it.  In any case, a
> good masthead preamp is a must for omnis.

I like having a switching preamp because I'm an idiot.  I'm always
moving stuff around, I'll get a crazy idea to work a local 70cm repeater
or whatever.  I would have certainly blown up a receive-only preamp
5-times over by now, even though I rarely use the switching part.