Re: Easy to make, low cost omni-directional antennae

Hi,

I'm new to satellite stuff and I had essentially the same requirements
as you.  I live in a dense urban environment so I have more QRM problems
than most, limited roof space, and I try to keep a low profile and not
get the neighbors too excited.

I wound up purchasing two eggbeaters from M2, one for 70cm and one for 2m:
    http://www.m2inc.com/products/vhf/2m/eb144.html

They work well, they are well-built, and are great for AO-51,
ISS-digital, and GO-32.  I also wound up getting an ARR masthead preamp
for the 70cm eggbeater to compensate for my long feedline to the roof
    http://www.advancedreceiver.com/page10.html

To tell you the truth, the two eggbeaters are marginal for me working
SO-50.  It is just above the noise and I don't feel like I hear it well
enough to transmit.  If you want to listen for weak signals you might go
straight to a directional setup with more gain.  I feel a rotator in my
not-too-distant future...

Eggbeaters aren't terribly portable.  The copperweld loop is going to
spring loose when you take it apart and poke someone in the eye, so I
don't move them.  For portable I got and Arrow-II handheld 70cm/2m yagi.
It's great fun and seems to be popular.  I used it with an old Icom-W32A
HT on vacation and used it to work AO-51.  It breaks down really small,
fits in a little bag, and I can put it together in less than 5-minutes:
    http://www.arrowantennas.com/146-437.html

jeff
AD6EO