Re: Comet CX-902 as sat antenna?

When we go back to antenna theory, we find that to get gain from a
vertical antenna we reduce the height of the donut around the
antenna, thereby increasing the diameter of the donut. The donut
represents the coverage of the antenna in azimuth and elevation. The
area of the donut represents the power of the transmitter or the
sensitivity of the receiver. We change the dimensions of the donut
with antenna gain, while the volume remains constant. The higher the
vertical antenna gain, the thinner the donut and the larger the
diameter. Since the satellite is above you, and the vertical antenna
has gain, you will not receive the satellite unless the satellite is
near the horizon.

To receive the satellite with a simple vertical, use a unity gain
ground plane. This will work for all but the passes directly overhead.

73
Glenn
WB4UIV