NO-44 Question

I've been trying ,unsucessfully, to get an APRS report thru NO-44.  I
can hear it faintly--well below the strength of ISS--even on high or
optimum passes--like 30 degrees.  (I'm using a vertical)

How long does NO-44 need to be in sun before it begins to operate normally?

Its probably my weak antenna set-up but its too cold out to play with
that end yet!

Thanks,

Curt
KU8L