Icom IC2720H Full Duplex

I was trying to work AO-27 this afternoon.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the IC2720H would operate in "Full Duplex",
i.e. being able to transmit on one band while simultaneously receiving on
the other. I had my left band set on the uplink of 145.850 and the right
band set to the downlink of 436.795 (adjusting for doppler).  I was able to
hear the downlink just fine. When I tried to transmit on the left band (set
as the main band) the audio on the right band would mute. Thus, I was unable
to hear if I was hitting the satellite. I have the sub-band mute feature set
to off.
Is there anyone in the group that uses this radio that could help me out?

Thanks,

Kent

--
Kent R. Frazier, K5KNT