Re: Writer Arthur C Clarke dies at 90

[This message is resent -- for some reason it never made it yesterday]

Trevor, M5AKA reports on the passing today of Arthur C Clark in 4S7-land.

You might be interested in knowing that Arthur was an AMSAT Life Member.
His member number, quite fittingly, was LM-2001.

In the 1970's and 80's, Arthur was a frequent visitor to NASA. He was
listed in the Goddard phone director as a consultant in the LANDSAT
group, and he also served as a consultant at NASA HQ. In the early
1980's (when I was AMSAT President), on a trip to Washington, Dick
Daniels (W4PUJ), Jan King (W3GEY) and I made the presentation of
honorary AMSAT LM-2001 to Arthur. He was most appreciative and spent a
couple of hours talking with us about our being the "Wright Brothers" of
the satellite world, building satellites in our basements and garages.

Arthur communicated with us several times in the years following that
visit. He asked that his LM-2001 Journal subscription be sent in his
name to a library in Sri Lanka.

73, Tom