Re: Predict 2.2.3 for Linux

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 7:37 AM, John Heaton <john@manchester.ac.uk> wrote:

>  On 16 Mar 2008, at 05:50, Bruce Robertson wrote:
>  > Your Predict is possibly dying for a lack of a TLE file. Point to one
>  > with the -t command-line parameter. Ensure also that a qth file is
>  > being created in ~/.predict and that you as user can read it with,
>  > e.g. 'cat'. I believe predict is supposed to find a tle file in that
>  > same directory, but I think I've had troubles with that option.
>
>  Predict will run without a TLE file - you won't see any predictions

I just double-checked this, and I still find that if there is no tle
file and none pointed to with a -t switch, it will die as Kent
described below. Namely, it will send you to the new user screen and
then exit when the info is entered. (Unfortunately, it exits with the
terminal in a funny state.) In my experience, it does this on a fresh
install with apt-get on Ubuntu, or with a build install (using root).
This is a frustrating loop for the user, since he or she can
reasonably expect that the data is entered after the first attempt,
and furthermore the qth file can be found in the ~/.predict

I've taken a screenshot and posted it at
http://heml.mta.ca/Amsat/predict-fail.png

If, however, you use -t to point it to a tle file it can't parse, it
will do as you, John, describe above. More specifically, you can
select the [P] option from the main menu, but this results in a blank
list of satellites from which to choose.

For instance, the following command will produce this effect:
brucerob@heml:~$ touch foo
brucerob@heml:~$ predict -t foo

I get the exact same effect if I use the documented nasa tle files. For example:

brucerob@heml:~$ wget http://www.amsat.org/amsat/ftp/keps/current/nasa.all
brucerob@heml:~$ predict -t nasa.all

Fails the same as my 'foo' file above. However if I edit out the
comments in the file describing the file format so that the first line
begins with 'AO-07', predict operates normally.

>  > Finally, make sure that your tle file does not have any comments at
>  > its top before the actual elements. For instance, the commonly used
>  > nasa.tle files have a set of comments describing the tle format.
>  > Predict dies on these.
>
>  Predict ignores data in the TLE file before the TLE data, so if you
>  get your TLE as a meil message you don't need to remove the headers

Perhaps predict is written to ignore the headers of a mail message,
but not the comments that appear in the nasa file?

I hope it is understood that I'm documenting this because I like
predict and consider it a wonderful arrow in AMSAT's quiver. Indeed,
since it might be a potential AMSAT'er's first encounter with pass
prediction -- given that it is part of the debian world -- I think we
should ensure that it is very easy to use. Furthermore it
cross-compiles like a dream: as I've said elsewhere it works
identically on a Nokia N800; and another member of this list got it to
run on the gumstix platform.

73, Bruce
VE9QRP