Re: presentation for hamfest

Wayne Estes wrote:

> I'm amused at your presumption that all hams have a mobile ham radio and
>   spend a great deal of time in their car.
>
> Wayne Estes W9AE
> Oakland, Oregon, USA, CN83ik

This may be somewhat true information from Wayne...

The manufacturers pushing lots and lots of cheap HT's has made our
repeater association consider ideas for beefing up receiver coverage
(voting) because lots and lots of hams don't "get it" anymore that 5W
from 20+ miles away just isn't much signal left on VHF/UHF/etc... and
they also see the glossy ads of people talking long distances, etc...
and want the HT to act like their cellphone.

So right now, the project is ... find a way to do all of this voting
digitally...

Analog voters and links are a HUGE pain.  We're busy with some other
things right now, but perhaps the techies will get some "tinker time"
with some of our ideas this summer...

I only shared, because it relates to Wayne's comments.  If I had to
guess, I'd say the most active *repeater* users (those we're targeting
to try out FM birds) right now, ALL start with HT's... and take a while
to "upgrade" to permanently-installed high-power mobiles.

If the repeater groups naturally gravitate toward "solutions" for the HT
users... the AMSAT folks will also see less and less folks with
high-power FM rigs... (that's where my rambling comment really leads
here...)

Nate WY0X