Re: presentation for hamfest

On Mar 15, 2008, at 2:29 PM, Wayne Estes wrote:

> Bob Bruninga wrote:
>
> The #1 point I make at hamfests are:
> 1) You dont need special antennas
> 2) You dont need elevation rotators
> 3) You dont need tracking software
> 4) Just operate from your mobile FM or APRS rig anytime you are
> commuting or otherwise in the car.
>
> Wayne replies:
>
> I'm amused at your presumption that all hams have a mobile ham radio
> and
>  spend a great deal of time in their car.

I think it's a fair guess that more of them have mobiles than have alt-
az
rotors driving large antenna arrays.   Bob's point (and it's a good
one) is
that you don't need that kind of equipment to work satellites and have
fun, and it _is_ a message that bears repeating.

If you look at The Radio Amateur's Satellite Handbook, you might not
even realize that you can work satellites that way.   It'll tell you
all about
helix antennas and stuff that you might be able to use on birds which
are no longer active, or which might be active in the future, but really
doesn't tell you very much about working FM birds in the obvious,
inexpensive and fun way that I enjoy: QRP with a handheld Yagi.
I've worked from Hawaii to Maine, Manitoba to Socoros Island.  It's
really
a hoot.    I've also bounced APRS packets off
NO-44 and the ISS using just 5w into the mag mount whip on top
of my car.

It's a blast.  It's gotten me excited about satellites.  It made me a
member
of AMSAT.

Check out the ARRL handbook chapter on space communications.   You'll
see a great deal about satellites that no longer fly, and microwave
modes
that are only part time on AO-51.  It's really shameful that
absolutely no
mention of the fun of operating satellites mobile and QRP is made in the
premier publication of the ARRL.

Bob's message is a good one: you probably _can_ work sats, without a
huge investment of time, without a fixed ground station, without
computer
controlled doppler, without 17 element antennas.   If anyone is even
faintly
interested, they can do it.   I think they need to hear that.

	Mark KF6KYI