Re: Hello Group

On Mar 8, 2008, at 2:13 PM, D. Mynatt wrote:

> Hello, Just joining and wanting to know if anyone from the Colo
> Springs/Pueblo, Colorado area?
>
> Dave
> KA0SWT

There are a number of folks who have been active on the birds in the
past, and are still interested... some with working stations, others
not, along the Front Range, Dave.  They're not very "organized" right
now, though -- because...

The Colorado AMSAT Net has been off-air for a while now, in need of
someone to pick it back up and give it some TLC.   The net's "owner"
John N0VSE with help from KB0VBZ ran it for many years on the Colorado
Repeater Association's linked repeaters, every single Wednesday night
at 8PM for well over a decade.  But John's work and home life schedule
currently does not allow him to be around at 8PM on Wednesday nights,
their Net "slot" for years on the system... and no one else has
stepped up to be "the voice of Colorado AMSAT Net".  I'm sure John
would "hand the reins over" to anyone willing to pick it up and do it.

Colorado Front Range AMSAT activity probably needs a couple of
"champions" to work on it (I'm already over-committed to various other
things, and don't work the birds much really -- I stay more in touch
with Satellite activity because many people cross over from Satellite
to terrestrial weak-signal work at VHF and above, which is one of my
passions) and breathe some new life back into it.

The Net time is open, if some folks want to pick it up.  The linked
repeater system also has EchoIRLP on it, so anyone could participate
or help run it from just about anywhere... anywhere there's an IRLP or
EchoLink setup... including a laptop.

There are some brilliant but very busy AMSAT folks down near you...
folks who've helped build birds for AMSAT, write code, test systems,
etc.  Hard folks to get ahold of though, much in demand in the "real
world" engineering roles they fill.

--
Nate Duehr, WY0X
nate@natetech.com