How ham radio satellites communicate

hello all this is Ryan kd8atf my sister is doing a history project on how ham radio satellites communicate and my dad n3aas and I have both look and really cant find any thing so I was wondering if their was some one who could help us. also i was looking a the Delfi-C3 amsat page and up at the top of the page it says decay date 31 December, 1969 whats up with that. also whats the lates news on ao-40  73 for now kd8atf