OT?? Model Rocketry

This may be off topic? I am helping a neighbor who is just getting into
high power model rocketry (Tripoli) He is interested in _two way_
telemetry with his rocket and wants the downlink for the usual sensors
like altitude, GPS, XYZ-attitude etc. There are _one way_ products that
provide the downlink but he also wants to be able to uplink to fire
parachutes or thrusters (during descent). I am leaning toward an 900 MHz
ISM solution for the RF but am stumped as to what digital platform would
be most flexible (and light weight) for the communications needs. Are
there any standards or better yett off the shelf products? I am open to
suggestions.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©