To: eu-amsat@yahoogroups.com
From: rw3xl@yandex.ru
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 10:36:19 +0000
Subject: [eu-amsat] Re: Good ideas for the AO-7 log.

            Hello!

I have such offer.

Can be copy all data in new base and place it on other site?

Probably, that any part of data will be gone. But I think, that not

so much.

A question in the one who will write the program for work with this

base?

I could find a place with a suitable name (for example oscar7.net,

oscar7.org) and which support MYSQL and PHP4/5 :)

In this case becomes possible:

To find the new Administrator who will have full access to a site.

Count QSO/Points or any other position in the log, like we need (As

we shall explain to the Administrator), e.t.c.

It is necessary to do it on a noncommercial basis. I, for example,

can find a hosting.

--- In eu-amsat@yahoogroups.com, John Hackett <archie.hackett@...>

wrote:

> Alan,

>         A timely and intelligent mail - nice! one.

> I played at super dooper pooper scooper - (log cop) - for a couple

of years but it was as you correctly percieved taking up too much of

my time.

> I wused to be Emily's page administrator but since she disappeared

into the burrow of 2nd Life and despite "millions" of 'carrots' -

(read: e-mails) - I've lost contact with her.

> I do wish she'd pop her head out with a quick - "What's up Doc?".

> I'm now involved in other aspects of the Grand Old Lady ... AO-7,

not N1DID.

> 73 John.   <la2qaa@...>

> > From: ve4yz@...

> > To: la2qaa@...; sv1bsx@...

> > CC: amsat-bb@...; eu-amsat@yahoogroups.com

> > Subject: RE: [amsat-bb]  More AO-7 log.

> > Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 09:01:17 -0600

> > Regrettably, there seems to be only a few ways of "Ham -

Proofing " the

> > logging system.

> > One would be to add some logic to the code for the form entry to

prevent

> > submitting unless at least one of the QSO entries are completed.

This may

> > require diving into the rabbit hole to rescue Emily from her

Second Life and

> > nicely asking her to tweak the code.  However, it would not

prevent entrants

> > from adding dummy info just to get a count.

> > Another would be having a super user act as "log-cop" and zap bad

entries.

> > That may be perceived as badly as a "grammar cop" or "spelling

cop" on this

> > BB, and, who would want to waste that amount of time each day

cleaning up

> > other's messes. But it could be mitigated if a warning line was

added to the

> > top of the table.  "Invalid entries and empty QSOs will be

deleted"

> > Another that comes to mind would probably involve Emily and may

actually be

> > the easiest.  The entire database could be conditioned

occasionally.  Again

> > a super user could execute a single line SQL statement that

purges all

> > entries where the QSO is blank or includes text such as "CQ".

DELETE FROM

> > table_name WHERE column_name = some_value. I'm ignorant of the db

used here

> > but hesitantly *assume* in might me MySQL or something similar.

> > The SQL statement could even be automated in a chron process and

executed

> > automatically each day.

> > Or, folks could just use common sense and read the second

sentence at the

> > top of the log - "IF YOU HAVE A CONTACT TO REPORT...."   Oh, we

already

> > tried that and it didn't work...

write? ... or

> > note how those that fill in the log correctly do it? ... or even

read the

> > Amsat mail?.

> > What can one do?.

> > Statistics are no use to man nor beast if they're incorrect - and

over the

> > first 3 months of this year there are enough errors to ensure

that the

> > statistics *ARE* wrong ... agreed, they're only small mistakes

and agreed

> > that - "it's only a hobby" - but what is the point in filling in

the log in

> > the first place if you're not going to do it correctly?.

> > Having pointed out the errors once, twice and three times on both

bulletin

> > boards in the last 14 days I assumed that ought to be enough -

obviously it

> > wasn't ... so I don't know about you but I'm not going to bother

anymore.

> > Since the main "contenders" are English speaking one cannot blame

the

> > language. The panes are clear enough and cannot be misconscrued.

The hour

> > glass is self explanitory - you yourself have explained more than

once how

> > to fix things if they do occasionally go amok - (data is "data") -

 I'm

> > referring to the - 'remember me' - checkbox issue.

> > It's a pity such a useful resource is allowed to become a mess.

> > EOR ... (End of rant).

> > 73 John.   <la2qaa@...>

    __._,_.___

            Messages in this topic           (2)