Re: Dual Band (2m-70cm) Mobile Antenna Recommendations

Hi Kent,

Sorry to hear you are still having trouble.

>>Since I am able to transmit and receive on our local
>>repeaters, I'm guessing
>>that the issue is with my antenna.

If you are hearing repeaters good and strong but are
hearing absolutely nothing from AO-51, I'm guessing
that the problem is not the antenna or the radio.
Although not nearly as strong as a nearby repeater,
the downlink signal from AO-51 is quite loud, and high
elevation passes (35 degrees or more) can easily be
copied on an HT with just a rubber duck antenna.  I
have made many contacts with just a 6 1/2" ground
plane on the downlink.

So my guess is that you are listening at the wrong
time or on the wrong frequency, or there's some other
problem.

That being said, a better antenna is always nice.  The
Arrow is very popular and effective, if you don't mind
holding it in your hand for 15 minutes during a pass.
It can be mounted on a camera tripod if you don't want
to hold it.

Good luck,
Bill NZ5N