Ft-736 problem

When i key the mike the needle does not move forward to indicate the power output level but instead moves to the left and bottoms out. I have set the drive output to various levels but it still fails to indicate power. I know it's putting out power because i can hit repeaters but it won't indicate it by the needle going forward. It goes in the opposite direction to the left. Any help will be appreciated., Thanks, Randy