Re: Radio amateur calling protocol

Tony Langdon wrote:

>This is more of an issue in the lesser populated parts of the
>world.  The number of QSOs I've had on the linear birds that weren't
>pre-arranged with another local is very small.  The majority date
>back to the days of RS-10 (now there's a bird I miss).  Other than
>that, I can recall a QSO on FO-29 during a demonstration at a
>hamfest.  FM, OTOH, gets a reasonable response, though I have had
>SO-50 and UO-14 to myself on late night passes.  Think I even managed
>AO-51 to myself on one occasion. ;)

Tony Langdon gives a false impression of current activity in this part of
the world (VK/ZL).  There is daily activity on AO-51, VO-52 AO-07 (Both
modes) AO-16 and to a lesser extent SO-50.  In the past six months I have
had almost 500 satellite QSOs almost equally spread across the above and
none were pre-arranged!

Alan Cresswell
ZL2BX