Re: A0-51 "easy sat"

At 08:36 AM 2/26/2008, Robert Bruninga wrote:
> > How about trying to use the more preferred protocol of...
> > Callsign phonetically. grid square, op mode
> > Like...
> > Kilo-Six-Lima-Charlie-Sierra, Delta Mike 13, handheld
>
>On FM, in my opinion, there is no need for phonetics except for
>calls with troublesome letters.  Most calls can be heard easily
>without using up time with phonetics.

I disagree, signal levels for some stations can be marginal,
especially on the downlink.  There are also a LOT of troublesome
letters, particularly if your audio lacks high's.  Is it a B, D, E,
G, P, T or V? :-)  Or maybe it's a _really_ muffled C?

Also, if there is fading, the longer phonetics may still get enough
information through to avoid a repeat.  Repeats are more costly in
terms of time, when they occur.  And don't forget the impact of
different accents.  I have enough problems with getting my details to
a lot of Americans (even when using phonetics!) over a good, strong
IRLP link.  At least the smaller footprint of a LEO limits the
variety of regional accents in many cases.

73 de VK3JED
http://vkradio.com