Re: Since We Are Off Topic Somewhat....

While discussing this topic of orbital decay, I wonder if someone would
comment on the apparent anomoly whereby a sat in leo that encounters drag
actually speeds up (since as it's altitude decreases, the orbital speed
increases), and how this might be a factor in the comparison of the heating
effects on an object that decays gradually from orbit vs an object like the
shuttle that is taken out of orbit by actually reducing it's speed with
thrust.   I have my own intuitive theories on this but would like to hear more
informed opinions.