FT-847 Serial Port Communications

I have a problem involving the 9 pin serial port on the back of my FT-847
Yaesu transceiver.  When I try to use a null modem cable between the rig and
my PC on either COM 1 or 2, the rig will not respond to compatible rig
controller (CAT) nor a memory management program.  The COM ports have been
tested as well as the use of two different PCs.  Neither null modem cable
works. I have tried to use the Menu feature on the FT-847 to match baud rate
between radio and PC COM port.  Has anyone had a problem like this with the
Yaesu FT-847?  I would appreciate knowing.

Thank you.

Gary N0EZH