Can someone point me to a simple S-band helixconstruction article?

I can find plenty of information on helices and the theory involved with them but a lot of it seems to be contradictory and confusing.. I've found very general  guideline type articles but what I haven't found yet is a simple step by step construction article from start to finish. I'd like to construct one using pvc pipe as the helix form if possible as it is readily available but I even find varying opinions on the suitability of that material. Are the dimensions really not that critical as has been stated in some articles? I was thinking of using schedule 40 1 and a quarter or 1 and a half inch diameter white PVC pipe. I could really use some simple formulas as my old brain starts to smoke when I see equations involving algebra and pi. Been way to long since high school!  hi hi.
Tnx and 73,
Michael, W4HIJ