ISS Rptr Monday 4-08

ISS repeater Pass Monday Feb 5, 2008

It was a good repeater night.  My QTH had an 82 degree
pass.  It was hard not to have a good signal.

Charlie N3CRT:
Suggested we try Narrow FM.  My Yeasu FT-736 supports
2.5 and 5k deviation FM. So I tried it and I do agree
the Narrow 2.5k FM seems to work Better.  I had many
solid contacts last night.
How did my audio sound?

Luc WE2DWE:
Your Audio was Great last night. Nice and clear, no
distortion and Full Quieting.  I am jealous, hi hi.

I only heard a few people without headphones last
night and still a few that were over modulating.  One
station got a good lock and I could hear his children
playing in the background (Mic gain too high).

I updated my short tips list to include Narrow FM.

Tips:

Use the minimal power.

Compensate for Doppler on 437.800 (Try for an error of
less than 2khz)

Set your FM deviation to Low (2.5khz verses 5 kHz)

Speak Softly and slow (Loud Audio will pop you out of
the receiver)

Full Duplex users must wear headphones

Noise Floor: Your signal will not decode until you are
at
least 6-12 db above the noise floor at the Space
Station.

QRP stations may want to plan for OFF hours when most
people local to you are Sleeping or at Work.

wf1f