Re: AMSAT-BB Digest, Vol 3, Issue 59

...Interesting.  If you turn off the TNC when not in use, and set
power save, it is no different from any other radio I think.
And nothing has changed in FM "technology" in 30 years...  I
don't understand your bias...

My "bias" comes from knowing from first hand experience that the
radio is NOT anywhere near as efficient with its energy consumption
than more current (no pun intended) HTs. That fac has already been
acknowledged ny another participant here, too. They used to ship with
a SIX VOLT battery pack - PB-38 - which only allowed 2.5W VHF and
2.2W UHF ops out of the box. (Ebay buyers beware!!!!) But they now
ship with a PB-39, offering 12VDC at 600 0r 650mAH and a full five
Watts power output.

More modern radios are offering full power output with 7.2V and much
longer-lasting NiMH and Li-Ion battery packs.

Owners (including myself) have "compensated" the TH-D7's poor
original battery life with aftermarket NiMH packs and the like...But
in responding to the original poster's inquiry (limited funds), I
still believe I gave him some good information.

But if one asks, "I need a TNC in an HT...APRS intrigues me..." -
then the TH-D7a fits the bill.

Clint Bradford, K6LCS / KAF3359
909-241-7666