Re: Which Handheld...

 >>...which handheld do you use or which
handheld is "the best" for sats. It must be full duplex.

There are no new full-duplex HTs on the amateur market. The Icom IC-
W32a was the last nit to have true full-duplex.

Knowing that, the feature that is needed in an HT is the ability to
RX on one band, and TX on another.

So you have dual-band, dual receive HTs (TH-F6a from Kenwood...user
un-friendly VX-7R from Yaesu) that can do it - obviously. I overlook
the Kenwood TH=D7A(g) because it is a battery hog and much older
technology than what is now avalable in amateur HTs.

But there are also HTs that are dual-band, single-receive that work
excellently. I show off the Yaesu FT-60R for my demos and sessions.
1,000 memories, strongest belt clip of any HT on the amateur market,
built tough, 108-to-a-gig receive, easy to program...and, when using
its optional AA dry cell case, you are working at FULL POWER! Unlike
the TH-F6a - when you use its AA case, you're at 1/2 of one Watt.

Al that in a radio for well under $200. See a picture of it in action
in the December, '07 issue of CQ Magazine, where I am using the FT-60
with an Arrow antenna to wow an audience at a fair demo.

Clint Bradford, K6LCS / KAF3359
909-241-7666