Explorer I

If I'm not mistaken this is the 50th anniversary of the launch of
Explorer I, the USA's first satellite put in orbit.  I listened to the
telemetry broadcast on 108 mHz and recorded it.  The JPL had asked for
the loan of any recordings made so I sent them out for their analysis.
I received my original tapes back along with a supply of new reels of
tape for use in making further recordings.  JPL sent copies on to the
Air Force Research Center at Cambridge.

I later received letters from JPL and the Air Force Research Center
describing the data they had recovered from the recordings relative to
micrometeorite impacts and other items.  It was a really exciting period
for Amateur Radio.

--
Roy -- W0SL