Re: AMSAT Operating Areas (OA's)

On Jan 29, 2008, at 1:28 PM, Tony Langdon wrote:

> At 06:18 AM 1/30/2008, Robert Bruninga wrote:
>
>> The GLOBAL map of HAM radio activity is extremely diverse, with
>> probably 95% of the HAM Radio population all sharing only 5% of
>> the footprints of our satelites.  Trying to make "rules" without
>> accounting for this 400-to-1 diversity severly limits the
>> utility of our satellites.
>
> This is certainly a good point.  I'm sure few, if any in the US or
> Europe have experienced what I have on many occasions - an FM bird to
> themselves, and I'm also sure they've never had a ragchew on such a
> satellite.

Oh, I dunno Tony -- I've heard some doofuses rag-chewing on AO-51 over
the U.S. when ten other stations were semi-patiently waiting during
certain passes.  It especially seems to happen during the really GOOD
passes folks are waiting for (for whatever reason... some rare guy in
the middle of nowhere, or a pass that has the right angles for a
possible DX shot).

LOL!  Pbbbt. (GRIN)

So you're not alone.  :-)

--