AO-16 over West Malaysia

Hi All,

I am pleased to submit my first operation report of AO-16 over West Malaysia.

Uplink: 145.920 MHz +/-
Downlink: 437.025 MHz +/-
Maximum Elevation: 25 degrees
AOS: 1654 Local or 0854 UTC

I did not switch on the PC to perform automatic antenna and doppler
tracking, so everything was done manually.  Downlink doppler tuning
was not as difficult as expected, though it takes some effort to tune
the downlink especially approaching TCA.  The downlink signal was very
strong too, even without the mast head preamp switched on.  USB seem
to sound slightly better than LSB.

Surprisingly this bird hears very well.  About 30 watts of uplink
power into 2x10 elements horizontally polarized stacked yagi for 2M
was about enough.  On the downlink, a 2x15 elements horizontally
polarized stacked yagi for 70 CM was used.

No stations were heard except HS1EAX that was coming in 59.  Replied
his call, but unfortunately, I got no response.  I am really looking
forward to work more stations via this amazing new bird soon.  My
thanks to the command team for taking all the effort to put this bird
into the VHF FM/UHF SSB voice repeater mode.

73,
Sion Chow Q. C.,
9W2QC.