Re: RFI identification

On Jan 23, 2008, at 8:13 PM, Jim Shorney wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 14:23:49 -0600, Wayne Estes wrote:
>
>> Computers are also extremely noisy!  When operating HF I never use a
>> computer, every one I have ever had or used, adds at least 10 DB to
>> the
>> noise floor.
>
> I use an old IBM PS/2 Server 95 (microchannel) computer w/IBM 6091-19i
> workstation monitor for logging. It won't run modern games, but it's
> the most
> RFI-tight computer I've ever seen.

Metal case?  The old steel PC cases are the best RFI shielding they
ever had.  The new plastic cases with what equates to aluminum foil on
the inside, generally suck.

The metal cases are getting hard to find, but you can still buy some
metal cases and put modern motherboards in them, too.  Then run the
station ground to the case, too.

--
Nate Duehr, WY0X
nate@natetech.com