Re: RFI identification

On Jan 23, 2008, at 10:12 AM, John Heaton wrote:

> unless you live in the middle of a desert or forest, then switching
> off your computer probably wouldn't make a blind bit of difference as
> in a typical street there may be another 100 or so still switched on.

Well, the distance-squared rule still applies.  Since we can assume
that most PC's put out similar levels of RF hash (not always true, but
"true enough" for this point), the further away your station is from
them, the weaker they will be in your receiver.

The ones under your own roof and the very closest neighbors are really
all one typically needs to be concerned with, unless you have a
receiver so ultra-sensitive and a high gain antenna pointed at the
offending signal source (which someone else already mentioned they
were able to do, on purpose, to find their localized noise source).

The real problem is later on, when you have to diplomatically approach
a neighbor with your "findings" and ask them if you can assist with
cleaning up the offending electronics.  That can be more difficult
than finding the source, which is often quite a challenge in and of
itself.

--
Nate Duehr, WY0X
nate@natetech.com