Re: RFI identification

Joe (no callsign given) wrote:

Computers are also extremely noisy!  When operating HF I never use a
computer, every one I have ever had or used, adds at least 10 DB to the
noise floor.

Wayne replies:

How close are your HF antennas to you computers?  I don't notice an
increase in the HF noise level from the computers in my house, but my HF
vertical and HF dipole feedpoint are both 60 feet from the house (and
even further from neighbor's houses).  At the closest point the dipole's
wire is less than 30 feet from two computers in the house.

Do you use CRT monitors with your computers?  I found that CRT monitors
generate much more RF noise than the average home computer.  LCD
monitors produce far less RFI.  Weak-signal ham operators should NEVER
use CRT monitors.

Wayne Estes W9AE
Oakland, Oregon, USA, CN83ik