Antenna advice

I'm new to satellite stuff.  I got an Arrow-II antenna to get started.
It works pretty well.  I live in San Francisco and I can go on the deck
or hang out the window and hear the easy satellites.

I would like to graduate to sitting in a chair, inside, with two free
hands, while working a satellite.  What is a good choice for the next
step up for an antenna that I can install on a flat roof for mode-J
operation?

Do I need an az-el rotator for the next step up or is there some
cheaper/simpler solution?  It will be about a 75-foot cable run from a
roof antenna to my radio, will I need a mast-head type preamp for the
receiver?

thanks,
jeff