Making your own rotator controller

A friend of mine is struggling with antenna rotator controllers, so I would
like to help out and build one for the both of us.

I did some experiementing a while back, where I sent a PIC chip a three
digit azimuth value.

The code I wrote turned the "123" into a binary 8 bit value.

This was then compared with the position (or ADC voltage) of a PIC.

I am wondering if it might be simpler to convert the three digit value that
comes from say predict under linux, to an 8 bit number before sending it to
the PIC.

I often give it a start character, such as a "#"

So I would be sending "#A" (decimal 10) to the PIC instead of having to
convert "#010" in the PIC itself

Comments ? Experiences ?

Andrew Rich VK4TEC
vk4tec@people.net.au