h/t advice

I would appreciate a bit of advice concerning h/t's?

  I spoke with Icom US who admitted that despite the current adverts claiming the IC-91A/D is the replacement to the W32A, its not - no full duplex for a start!

  So, I have the E or T90 which on the back of a bit of research I now find that by selecting "split" in the menu options, I can listen on 440 and transmit on 144 - its not full duplex I know, but for the FM birds (and coupled with an arrow type antenna), can I make this radio work on the birds?

  Thanks in advance

  David
  KG4ZLB