Re: Phase 4 versus Eagle

I guess as a new fan/operator of the satellites who is currently dumping
a large percentage of his paycheck into a HEO ground station
infrastructure, I have a few questions and figured here would be the
place to ask, as I can't read German and the US AMSAT page just says
it's "in construction."

Is there a physical Phase 3E satellite on the ground (meaning, has
actual construction begun)? what is the physical status of the project?

And also, it seems as though there is a bit of panic/uncertainity
regarding the ability to actually get it in orbit, from a monetary
standpoint. Has the funding or budget requirements for this project
ballooned that much? I read the explanation of launch prices and it
makes perfect sense, but what were the launch prices when the project
was initiated?

I mean, what happens if we can't afford to put it up? Is all the
construction money wasted? What happens to the bird?

The geosynchronous bird sounds great at first, but I can see where
politics would play into its funding and orbit selection, perhaps.

Don't get me wrong - the LEO sats are fun and a great challenge, and I
enjoy every contact I manage to scare up, but HEO is what got me into
birds in the first place, way back when.

Matt
KC4YLV